Re: [News] "Not releasing to Linux makes no sense"

> Cutthecosta.com Releases New Travel Utility for Windows and Linux Users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The conversion of the program from Windows to Linux was surprisingly
> | easy - it took about 30 minutes, we don't really understand why other
> | companies don't release their programs simultaneously on both platforms.
> | Not releasing to Linux makes no sense!
> `----

    The reason they don't understand is probably due to the fact that they
are primarily a travel agency, and not a software development company.

    If most of your income comes from selling (licenses of) software to the
public, then you will need to provide support for your software. For every
OS you support, you'll need support staff trained in and familiar with that
OS. If you predict that 90% of your customers will be using Windows, and 10%
Linux, it might make business sense to just not release a Linux version of
your software at all, even if there are no technical obstacles to doing so
(e.g. the program is written in Java or Python). The added cost of having
support staff trained in Linux might be more than the extra revenue from
selling your software to Linux users.

    - Oliver