Re: [News] The Painful Move from Linux to Windows (Must-have Applications)

> Linux applications I can't live without
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Recently my father was awarded a new PC from work. The PC was
> | loaded with Windows XP. Now my father has been using Linux for
> | the last 5 or so years. So when he realized he'd be using Windows
> | he asked "What about gnucash? What about glines? What about..."
> | It was all about the applications he had grown used to using and
> | really needed.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=33&tag=nl.e011

    Exactly. Giving up the applications you're used to is very painful, and
any advocate needs to realize and acknowledge this pain if they are to
become a successful advocate. Simply hand waving, and muttering something
about equivalents existing somewhere won't cut it.

    I'm hopeful that this point was not loss on the author of the article,
but somewhat skeptical. The tone of the article was somewhat antagonistic,
with phrases like "fight back", or "time to start searching for a free
application to replace Gnucash. It took me a while but I did come across a
freebie." without actually listing the what that freebie was to save the
next person who has to undergo the same search.

    - Oliver