Re: Sony does not Meet Shipping Goals in Delivery of Linux-ready Consoles

  • Subject: Re: Sony does not Meet Shipping Goals in Delivery of Linux-ready Consoles
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 8 Jan 2007 18:12:38 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <1168271662.025961.88120@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > You seem to have missed this very next sentence in your quote:
>
> He didn't miss it.  He ignored it.

Roy Schestowitz tends to ignore anything that doesn't fit his narrow
agenda.

> > - "The figure is about half of Sony's stated goal of 2 million PS3s
> > globally by the end of 2006."
> >

> > So they shiped "about half" of their goal of 2-million. But I guess
> > that's "close enough" and they really did make their goal?
>
> Well, it certainly is enough for what the market wants: PS3 is now
> fairly easy to obtain.  Stores are selling one or two a day, so a
> shipment of 10-15 will carry them over to the next shipment.
>
> Anyone here who wants a PS3 to run Linux should be able to easily get
> one, at retail price, with a few days of casual looking.  (And if you
> want a couple games and an extra controller, you can find them in
> bundles that will be maybe $50 less than retail).

It's interesting to see the price of PS3's on eBay. The first day they
were available in the US I saw the units selling for $3000-$5000 on
eBay. Looking at eBay now, I see 20GB units that sold for $470 (list
price is $499) and 60GB units (with bundled games) that sold for $600.

This "gaming cycle" is the first time that I didn't buy a console as
soon as they were available. When the Nintendo64 was released I had one
waiting on pre-order. I bought a PS2 the first day it was available and
also bought an XBox the first day it came out.

Now I don't really care anymore. I was at Circuit City over the weekend
and saw PS3's (and other consoles) available for purchase. I just don't
have any interest in buying yet another gaming console.