Re: [News] Microsoft Acknowledges that Windows Vista Has DVD Issues

Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2007-01-08, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
> something concerning:
>> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 07:35:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> High-quality DVDs will not operate on some Vista PCs
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2536050,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

>> Don't forget that *NONE* of those DVD's will play on *ANY* version
>> of Linux either.
>>
>> How come nobody ever mentions that?

> Maybe because it isn't relavent. AFAIK no linux companies or groups
> are trying to further the same format MS is pushing.
>
> But don't be surprised when linux can do it before Winders can.*

Already does.

In fact it even works on an elderly version of Red Hat ... version 7.3
2.96-110 to precise.

How do I know?

Because that's what's running on the Toshiba HD-A1:

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/04/25/76295.aspx

and

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/04/21/75795.aspx

Now I'm sure there's one or two proprietary "blobs" floating around in
there somewhere, but then with discoveries like this: ...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/

... it won't be long before MPlayer is playing HD-DVDs on Ubuntu.

I can foresee libdvdaacs sitting right next to libdvdcss in the repo.

Ain't Freedom a wonderful thing?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support
| any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the
| success of liberty.â - John F. Kennedy
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 19:49:34 up 51 days, 12:10,  3 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.40, 0.45