[News] Failures of XBox, Zune, and HD-DVD

Xbox Live Crashes a Second Time in only a Week

,----[ Quote ]
| As with the other story on digg from last week, Xbox Live
| has crashed unexpectedly and without explanation from Microsoft.
`----

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_Live_Crashes_a_Second_Time_in_only_a_Week

Zune misses top-10 list of holiday devices sold

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Zune player was not among the top-10 list of
| digital audio devices sold over the winter holidays in the U.S.,
| with Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod remaining champion of that market,
| according to research analyst firm Current Analysis Inc.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Tech/5051/070105zune/index.html

Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax," switch to Blu-ray still possible

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking with Ars Technica, Microsoft Director of Platform Strategy
| Scott Henson explained that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive would likely
| never be internalized into a future version of the console because
| "[we] don't want to charge customers $200 extra for something that
| may be the next Betamax."
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/05/microsoft-hd-dvd-might-be-next-betamax-switch-to-blu-ray-sti/

Surely, the spin doctor will sweep these problems under the carpet, just as
they conduct their anti-Linux crusades.