[News] Google Predicted to Grow (Financially) in 2007

Analyst: Google to hit $630 a share in 07

,----[ Quote ]
| A year after people wondered whether Wall St had taken leave of its
| senses by over-valuing Google, the analysts are back with more
| fantastic predictions.
| Piper Jaffray's Safa Rashtchy has again pumped up his target pricef
| or Google stock, to $630 from $600 for 2007, while projecting
| earnings coming in at $16.59 a share.

This weakens proprietary software titans (albeit Google seems to become one)
and strengthens Open Source software and Linux.

Winner-Take-All: Google and the Third Age of Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| To paraphrase an old comment about IBM, made during its 30 year
| dominance of the enterprise mainframe market, Google is not your
| competition, Google is the environment. Online businesses which
| struggle against this new reality will pay opportunity costs both
| in online advertising revenue as well as product success.

Google-Mart: Sam Walton Taught Google More About How to Dominate the Internet
Than Microsoft Ever Did

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's strengths are searching, development of Open Source
| Internet services, and running clusters of tens of thousands of
| servers. Notice on this list there is nothing about operating systems.
| There are many rumors about Google doing an operating system to compete
| with Microsoft. I'm not saying they aren't doing that (I simply don't
| know), but I AM saying it would not be a good idea, because it doesn't
| play to any of the company's traditional strengths.

Google 'looking to buy' Microsoft Office clone

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is hoping to launch an office software suite that mimics
| Microsoft Office, according to the developer of the software.

Will Berkowitz keep Windows Live?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the risk of moving this article over to the opinion blog, many
| of the problems Berkowitz faces were caused not by too much focus
| on technical wizardry, but by a lack of clear direction, both fo
| MSN and for Windows Live.

Sources: Several Windows Live Projects Halted

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Windows Live desktop search project has been
| shelved "indefinitely," although not much reasoning has been
| given as to the reason for its demise.

Ozzie: Vista, Office must adapt to Web era

,----[ Quote ]
| Ozzie said that the transition to integrate online services into Microsoft
| products has been a challenge but that changes within the company are
| happening.

Will Web 2.0 ultimately kill Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
|  Allchin shared his thoughts on Windows Live (which, along with Windows and
| developer tools also falls under his organization); competition with Google
| and Apple; and why a client-based version of Windows won?t ever completely
| disappear, regardless of how successful Web services become.

MSN Still Going Nowhere Fast

,----[ Quote ]
| It is worth noting that Microsoft still hasn't made any headway
| in the search-and-portal game and, in fact, is falling farther andf
| arther behind. As a result, it is not surprising that Steve Ballmer
| is now warning media companies that Google is the Evil Empire --
| because no other competitive tactic has worked.

Can Google trump Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's "frontal assault" to Microsoft Office is Google Apps
| Enterprise Edition and Google is indeed waging warfare against Microsoft.

November 25 - Microsoft Dies

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the day. The demise of Microsoft. The day of reckoning has
| come at last. Friday 23rd November 2006. Google had seen it's profits
| soar massively. Microsoft on the other hand have had an awful year.
| Low profits, internal scandals, a lowered reputation and a lowered
| customer satisfaction rate have left the company in tatters.

Desperate Acts (of Microsoft)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is expected to spend $650 million next year to let the world
| know it has a shiny new search service and Web advertising network.
| That money is more than double the amount Microsoft will spend rolling
| out Vista, the new operating system that will contribute vastly more to
| its revenues.
| Microsoft's two-year catch-up effort in search has yielded only
| middling results. This year it dropped from 11% to 9% of all searches.
| Google handled 61% of the 204 billion searches worldwide in the past1
| 2 months.
| "We're late to the game. We admit it," confesses a full-page Microsoft
| ad in national papers, begging the world to try out its new Live
| search service. You almost want to hand Chief Executive Steven Ballmer
| a cup of cocoa.
| [...]
| Think of this fight as determining a few decabillion dollars of market
| value circa 2010. The current figures are $147 billion for Google and $284
| billion for Microsoft.

Google, Ask Gain Search Share; Yahoo, Microsoft Lose Ground

Google vs. Microsoft Market Cap Game

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting seeing how Google's market capitalization has chased
| Microsoft's since Google's IPO. We have seemingly plateaued at a
| little under 60% for a year now, but any takers on bets with
| respect to how long that holds?

ComScore: Google Leads Again In Search

,----[ Quote ]