Re: [News] Microsoft Office -- Only 41 "Critical" Patches Last Year

Op Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:44:38 +0000, schreef B Gruff:

> On Friday 05 January 2007 23:31 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's Achilles' Heel: Office
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | To put last year's 41 critical Office patches into perspective,
>> | consider that Microsoft shipped a total of 37 critical updates for
>> | all of its software products in 2005. None of the patch or
>> | vulnerability numbers cited in this story takes into account
>> | three still-unpatched vulnerabilities present in Microsoft Word,
>> | two of which Microsoft has acknowledged that criminals are
>> | actively exploiting.
>> `----
>>

> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/01/microsofts_achilles_heel_offic_1.html#more
>
> What ARE you moaning about, Roy?
>
> We already have it from a reliable source(!) that there have been TWO
> vulnerabilities in OO.o, one of those in 2005, and one recently?
>
> We are also informed by another reliable source(!) that Security Is Digital
> - on or off - there are no "degrees" of security.
>
> Hence, MS Office is no worse than OO.o. and we have already seen today that
> I.E. (284 days at-risk) is no worse than Firefox (9 days at-risk).
>
> Do you never learn?;-)

And apart from that: some 500 million people are using Windows, 400
million of which have malware of some sort on their computers.
A mere 25 million world wide people use Linux, a few thousand of which
at most have malware on their computers. That's the facts.

So, what do these figures tell us? LOOK at the WOOKIE! Ignore the numbers,
they're just there to confuse us. Don't try to make sense of the fact that
Windows is a steaming pile of bugs. Just LOOK at the WOOKIE.
By superficial, blunt math, Linux may appear to be several orders of
magnitude more secure than Windows, but if everyone would just LISTEN to
the WOOKIE, sense would prevail. Everyone would see that there is no sense
in choosing Linux over Windows, just because it's way more secure, offers
a huge amount of free software, and is easier to both install and use. If
people would just LOOK at the WOOKIE, they'd see sense, and Linux would be
a thing of the past yesterday ...

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/