Re: [News] Windows-only IPTV Project Faces Problems

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 07:16:12 +0000
<2840763.HGDlbCDJkK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Venice Project would break many users' ISP conditions
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Internet television system The Venice Project could break users'
> | monthly internet bandwith limits in hours, according to the
> | team behind it.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/03/venice_project_would_break_users_isp_conditions/

320 megabytes per hour?  That's about 89 kB/s.  My DSL line
can run at almost twice that speed -- for downloading only;
I'm not sure what my upload speed is.

Granted, I'm not in the UK.  Apparently British Telecom
has some interesting notions -- e.g., one plan apparently
has a limit of 2 GB per month.  Presumably, this is similar
to the logic that gave us "off-peak" minutes on mobiles.

BTW, 2 GB/month is about 772 bytes per second.  That's
about 3 times the speed of a *very* old 2400 baud modem.

Woo.

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }