Re: Why I still love Linux

begin  risky.vbs
	<Pe-dnXPdBKsplgDY4p2dnA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Ian Pegel <IanPegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It's only by comparison that you can get a feel for how good or bad
> something is. I laughed when a friend of mine received the
> instructions below on how to resolve the problem he's been having
> with his cordless USB mouse on XP. Can anyone truthfully say that
> your average user could manage to do what Logitech support are
> recommending here?
>
>> To resolve the issue, please try using the mouse on a different USB
>> port. If the device exhibits the same functionality on the USB port
>> also then follow the steps below.
>>
>> [snip]

It is pathetic. Some months ago I received a Logitech USB mouse and
keyboard at work. I just put them away as I use a Sun keyboard. A few
weeks ago we moved to a new building and during packing my stuff up I
came across the keyboard and mouse. So I unplug my USB mouse and
insert the Logitech dongle thingy and low and behold the cordless
mouse just works. I can unplug it from one USB port to another and it
still works.

This was under Gentoo. It behaves the same, ie just works, under
kubuntu as well. I really like this cordless mouse and it goes where
ever my laptop goes.

Another one is where you must install the USB driver for a device
before connecting it to the PC. My eldest daughter's fiance bought a
new digital camera. He plugs it into his PC before installing the
SW. Who reads the docs before doing this sort of thing? Low and behold
XP, being the smart OS it isn't, did whatever it does when it detects
new devices and I presume assigned the wrong driver for the
device. Installing the SW that came with the camera didn't help. The
device was unusable. Solution? Re-install Windows.

> BTW it's good to see COLA still going, even if it's a bit over much
> Comp.Os.Roy.S :-)

I doubt anyone but the wintrolls, Erik in particular, read all of
Roy's [News] posts. I certainly don't but I read those whose subject
catches my attention. The best thing about Roy's posts is that it
annoys the wintrolls so much. They pollute COLA with their non-stop
lies and FUD. The effort they go to, especially Erik, to try and
discredit Roy is hilarious. Even better it is just water off a ducks
back to Roy so they're just pissing into the wind and making laughing
stocks of themselves.

Keep it up Roy.

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and