Re: [News] Mac-to-Linux Convert Explains Markering of Free Open Source Software

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 04 January 2007 11:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Marketing of Open Source by the End User
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://technology.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0323252
>>
>> There isn't a need to convert Mac to Linux any more, mac are doing a vm
>> that allows linux. The ad said that it didn't need a reboot, just a key
>> combination to switch between them, so I suspect that it is a OpenVZ type.
>>
>> I was told there will be a major Mac announcement at the end of this month
>> to do with new products.
>
> iPhone, Schmidt in Apple's board, YouTube, Google phone that was promised...
> all come to mind... also television. The only victim is likely to be that
> other monopoly... Apple has become a monopoly in one area (media) while
> Google is in another (search)...

There's a very good reason to use Linux on apple machines.  You get
access to a linux distribution, for example, Debian or Ubuntu, with all
the attendant advantages, including free of charge security updates and
such like.  The only downside I've been able to find is no Nvidia 3D
driver for the PPC, although this could be addressed by the open-source
nvidia driver project.

If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
		-- Tallulah Bankhead