Re: [News] Chinese Company Begins Preinstalling Linux, Dell Preinstalls Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:54 \__

http://www.sinocast.com/getRegulationArt.php?regulaid=5217&PHPSESSID=92d4ce3dc1928079057f5552d915cbac

>> Thanks Roy.
>>
>> Now cop for this bit:-
>>
>> " According the regulations, computers, made and sold in China, have to
>> preinstall genuine operating systems. Therefore, computer and software
>> makers all actively establish partnerships with original equipment
>> manufacturers, in a bid to drive up their sales"
>>
>> So, if I read this correctly:-
>>
>> - there was/is a lot of "piracy" in China
>>
>> - so much so that it became the custom to sell a "bare" PC
>>
>> - and as we know, one well-known company claimed that it
>>    should be illegal to sell a "bare" PC, because "clearly" such
>>    a PC would receive a "pirated" copy of said-company's OS.
>>
>> - and presumably the intention was that all PCs should have
>>   pre-installed an OS from said company?
>>   Hence, no more "piracy"?
>>
>> - instead of which, all these PCs in China are now being sold
>>    with Linux pre-installed - and working?
>>
>> Now I guess everybody is happy?:-)
>>

> Somewhat reminiscent of the news digest debate here, in fact.  People
> should be careful what they wish for.

True. Eventually they get so fed up with what they requested and then
disappear (HQ). Good riddance to bad rubbish. We are still left with
wonderful digests that clean up Gary's 10-year mess in G2.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  5:00pm  up 77 days  3:14,  6 users,  load average: 0.83, 0.49, 0.45