Re: [News] Playing DVD's with Free Software Illegal in France

  • Subject: Re: [News] Playing DVD's with Free Software Illegal in France
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:17:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 01 January 2007 10:56 \__

http://www.rfc1149.net/blog/2006/12/30/reading-a-dvd-with-vlc-or-mplayer-is-now-illegal-in-france/

>> Gates has recently been lobbying there, IIRC. Can France make up its mind
>> and cease to support monopolies whose sales become a prerequisite to
>> accessing content?
>>

> CSS is /not/ protection and never was, it is only and singularly a
> market manipulation tool, designed to prevent people from perfectly
> legitimately buying a DVD in the US and playing it in France.  It's
> about restraint of trade, it's about preventing usage of what people
> have bought, it's about all kinds of things, but it's not about
> protection.

It's about making people buy media over and over and over again. Imagine
having to buy your old Beatles vinyl because they no longer play
(gramophones outlawed).

Feeding Frenzy: Digital Rights Management is really just an ecosystem for
selling our own stuff to us again and again.

,----[ Quote ]
| And into this confluence of greed and shared interest strides
| Microsoft and Bill Gates promising a technical solution that
| gives every potential partner exactly what they want. Content
| owners get a chance to sell everything over again and this time
| they'll be supposedly protected from piracy. Everyone will have
| to buy a new TV with an HDMI connector as well as all new video
| and stereo components of every type, just so long as they, too,
| use strictly HDMI connections. Problems of deliberate signal
| degradation and driver horrors will make all video cards and
| most processors obsolete, so we'll have to buy all new PCs. Mr.
| Gutmann characterizes this lack of backward compatibility or any
| shred of technical elegance as suicidal on Microsoft's part when,
| in fact, it is Microsoft's best imitation of brilliance. Intel and
| AMD love it. ATI and nVidia love it. Thomson and Philips and Sony
| and Matsushita and Samsung and LG love it. Every movie studio, TV
| network, and record company loves it. The only people who don't
| love it are consumers, and neither industry nor government really
| cared much about them, ever.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061229_001403.html

Operation Vista: An Exercise in Greed

,----[ Quote ]
| At its heart, this issue is about Microsoft using its muscle
| (as opposed to superior product offering) to squeeze itself
| deeper into the security software industry.  What's at stake
| is, all other concerns being unrealized as of yet, branding.
`----

http://www.darklogistic.com/2006/10/07/operation-vista-an-exercise-in-greed/

I am thinking of all these people who accumulate collections in their
iTunes/iPod 'little world'. Little do they know about what the future bears.
Even tape recorders (or a walkman) suddenly appear like the better option.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
Swap:  1036184k total,   463524k used,   572660k free,    50768k cached