Re: [News] PC Magazine Satire: 4 Reasons to "Dump" Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Why Not to Buy Vista
>
> 4 "Reasons" to Dump Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Reason number one: Linux is boring. When I run Linux, I
>| don't have the excitement of wondering whether an e-mail,
>| IM, or Web page is going to give my system the latest worm
>| or virus. Where's the fun in that?...
>|
>| Reason number two: Linux is a pain to set up. With Linux,
>| you need to put in a CD or DVD, hit the enter button, give
>| your computer a name, and enter a password for the
>| administrator account....
>|
>| Reason number three: Linux is expensive. Linux is often
>| free, but look at all that time you spend setting it up.
>| Most people will end up buying new PCs with Vista
>| preinstalled... It'll run me only $1,375. Of course, I
>| won't get a keyboard, mouse, or monitor at that price.
>|
>| Reason number four: Linux doesn't have enough apps... my
>| copy of SUSE Linux has only more than 100 apps. Microsoft
>| gives you Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, the most
>| popular Web browser and e-mail client around... even
>| though they do have a few teeny-weeny security problems.
>| Microsoft also has Office, which . . . oh, wait: You don't
>| get that with Vista, do you?
> `----

LOL, I got a charge out of this one:

| I know some of you think that the only reason Windows gets
| all the neat malware is because it's so popular. Why would
| anyone attack Linux? Just because 60 percent of the world's
| 100 million Web sites run Linux, that's no reason to try to
| crack Linux. No, it's not that Windows has historically
| been as secure as a papier-mâché fortress; it must be
| because Linux just isn't very popular.

This is satirical but has a thread of truth:

| Just because some apps such as the Juniper Networks'
| Odyssey wireless LAN client WLAN, Cisco Systems' VPN
| client, and Norton AntiVirus 10 don't work right with Vista
| is no reason to think many of your current apps either
| won't work or will need to be upgraded.

I also liked this one:

| Still, as long as you want to run Microsoft programs at
| Microsoft prices, Windows is the OS for you! If you really
| think about it, you can find lots of reasons to run Vista
| instead of Linux. There just aren't any good ones.

I see the corporate world going toward thin clients and web
based applications.  Vista is too chunky to run on that
environment.

2007 will the turning point for much of industry.

--
HPT