LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 01-01-07

  • Subject: LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 01-01-07
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:48:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Happy new year!  I'm very happy to present the first edition of the
news digest for 2007, I've only a slight hangover from last night's
celebrations.  Jools Holland was on form as ever, and the ever more
popular New Year's fireworks were in abundance.  My feeling is that 2006
was the tipping-year for Linux, and during 2007, we'll see linux take-off
like one of the many New Year rocket-fireworks I was watching last night.
Unlike those rockets, though, I do not think linux will go down in a blaze
of colour, noise and glory, but will continue to soar on to higher things.
Before I kick-off with the digest, I'm going to join the pundit circuit
briefly, with my take on what we'll see this year in the linux, free
software and related worlds.

For 2007, the spaces to watch are going to be in media players and
centres, games consoles, whether the ubuntu and debian developers can
kiss and make-up, just how far into the desktop space ubuntu can push,
whether Novell can recover from the appalling error it made last year,
and open-source telephony such as asterisk and kphone, and the emergence
of a new generation of commercial applications.

Last year saw numerous articles regarding the increasing adoption of
floss in governments around the world, and the growing importance of
the OLPC project.  LiveCDs have achieved an incredible popularity,
and with more and more PCs having DVD drives from which they can boot,
liveDVDs offer the possibility for an amazingly rich computing experience
without ever touching a hard-drive.  2007 should see a growth in unionFS
like projects to allow the use of liveCDs with USB pens or even online
storage for personalising the PC.  I think the GP2X will grow and grow,
and I note that everyone is looking at the Wii as worth-buying - this even
amongst middle-aged non-technical people who fancy the accelerometer-based
controller.  For all those who think that textures on displays matter,
well, sorry, they don't... but having something innovative goes a
long way.

We're going to see the inroads of the next generation of games consoles
into the living room, and perhaps also onto the work desks and school
desks and a small, neat, quiet PC which runs linux and therefore, all
your favourite apps.

The software patent battles will continue to run, with the US still trying
to pressurise the EU into accepting software patents, but it will not be
resolved, nor will the EU accept them.  2007 is also likely to be the
crunch-year for DRM, as people try to upgrade their old media players
and perhaps replace old Windows PCs and find that the music they've
paid for no longer works.  This will hit the consumer rights groups,
and a backlash seems most likely.

In the commercial world, the next generation of open-source solutions
will start to gain traction, with open CRM and similar being adopted by
the more forward-looking companies.  In Mobility, linux-based phones
continue to gain in popularity, but there's still no simple and easy
solution for synchronising your mobile phone's contacts and diary
with linux-based calendaring solutions.  A great target for the ubuntu
project would be to work with mobile phone vendors to fix this problem.
This is the kind of capability which could become a "killer app" if it
could be made to work universally, although this does mean loosening
the death-grip which Microsoft Outlook/Exchange has in this space.

So, to wrap up this unusually long opening, I'll conclude on the forward
look to end all forward looks.  In order to ensure full acceptance of
floss in the future, we need to ensure that floss is in schools, colleges
and universities now.  Today's schoolkids are tomorrow's influencers, of
course, so we need to arm them with OLPC, linux live distros, Edubuntu
and whatever else is suitable.  The Guardian has noted that the net is
replacing the computer as the focus of current thinking in knowledge
distribution;  this gives linux/floss a unique opportunity to gain the
ubiquity which will result in proper support from all manufacturers,
as linux will run on pretty much anything.

2007 will be the year in which Linux runs on Everthing, and Everything
runs on Linux.

And finally, in today's digest, we have:
  *  Knoppix 5.1.0 Live CD Released
  *  Interview with Jeremy Allison About Novell, Microsoft, Samba,
     and More
  *  New Linux Installer Screenshots Site
  *  Why Windows Lookalikes Are a Bad Idea
  *  Binary Drivers Debate in Ubuntu and Sabayon Linux
  *  IDC Praises FLOSS for a Change
  *  UNIX, Linux and Windows (Perspective)
  *  Post-Vista Microsoft to Face Problems
  *  Why GNU/Linux Gets It Right
  *  Why the Microsoft Origami Failed - Viral Marketing
  *  Microsoft Seeks Free Labour for Linux Zune Support
  *  The Reason Web Designers Hate Internet Explorer (and Microsoft)
  *  The Guardian on Microsoft's Shot in Own Foot
  *  Korea Times: Only 14% Wait for Windows Vista
  *  Ubuntu Linux User Fights for FSF Acceptance
  *  Moving Toward Freedom, from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
  *  New Year's Resolutions - Free Software Magazine
  *  Playing DVD's with Free Software Illegal in France
  *  Microsoft Support Talks Ubuntu Linux
  *  AmaroK Newsletter Reveals Innovative New Features
  *  PC-BSD 1.3 Released with KDE 3.5.5
  *  New Version of Compiz (for Better Linux Eye Candy) Released
  *  Associated Press Praises the $100 Linux Laptop
  *  Inquirer Reporter Gets Linuxed
  *  XBox 360 Claimed to Have Been Hacked; Linux Kernel Coming?
  *  Legal Battles Could Not Defeat FLOSS and Linux
  *  Update on Trolltech's Hacker-friendly Greenphone
  *  2007 Prediction: The Year When Windows Zombies Hit Large
     Infrastructures
  *  New Version of Geeklog Released Just Before Year's End
  *  New Year's Resolutions for Linux and Open Source Software
  *  Report/Research: Next-Generation Mission-Critical Applications Will
     Go GNU/Linux
  *  Phoronix Posts Screenshot Gallery of the Brand-new Knoppix
  *  User Dissatifaction with Microsoft and FLOSS Defections
  *  Philosophy Suggests the Future is Open
  *  On the Open Source Business of Ex-Softies

This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
in comp.os.linux.advocacy.  If you have any comments, suggestions or
remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is
pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.