[News] Microsoft Uses Monopoly to Improve Own Product, Break Others'

Researcher: PatchGuard hotfix stitches up benefit to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has come under fire for quietly releasing a fix to
| its controversial PatchGuard kernel protection software in
| order to improve the performance of its Virtual Server 2005
| product.
|
| ...But it has also broken some legitimate software programs,
| leading to complaints from software vendors including Symantec
| and McAfee.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070120/tc_infoworld/85291

It's just the same old story. All. Over. Again.

Related:

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]
| 'All I can say is holy API batman...I'm not kidding...we are talking
| about literally 500-800 APIs here, no joke,' he wrote.
|
| Alepin had earlier claimed that Microsoft ran special demonstration
| programs whose sole purpose was to crash rival products and alleged
| that the company had subverted developers who used Microsoft's
| version of Java 'thinking they were developing multi-platform
| applications, but were actually developing Windows-specific
| applications'.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa-testimony.html

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]
| 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
| Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
| SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Comes v. MS Antitrust Trial Begins in Iowa

,----[ Quote ]