Re: [News] Autodesk's Move to Linux-based Systems in Australia

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:01:47 -0600, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Australia and New Zealand Visual Effects Industries Support Autodesk's Move
>> to Linux-based Systems Products
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Over the past two years, Autodesk has transitioned its Media and
>> | Entertainment systems products from running on proprietary,
>> | high-end SGI workstations to running on Linux-based personal
>> | computers (PCs).  To date, more than 30 Autodesk Linux-based
>> | systems seats have been installed in Australia and New Zealand.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=98344
>
>To HELL with AutoDesk.  They're the monkeys who deliberately churn their
>DWG format so that you're forced to upgrade, or hunt the web for a
>viewer, when some fool sends you a DWG file in "2007" format.

Don't fault Autodesk for the stupidity of other Autocad users.
They can easily save as an older format.  I must constantly save as
R14 for my clients using older formats. Although a few of the newer
things are lost in the downsave most are not.

I see this as a promise that someday, maybe, if luck holds out,
I can move all my Acad stations to a free OS. BSD.
Maybe I'm becoming a dreamer TOO. Oh, the shame.

When you think about it, the cost of the liscense for Windows
is a mere pittance compared to each seat of Autocad and since it
is a necessary and irreplaceable item the alternative is unattractive.