Re: [News] The Vendor-neutral Certification, with Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 19 January 2007 17:27 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:14:16 +0000
>> <12855353.o7c00JtnlT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Linux Certification: Vendor-Specific or Vendor Neutral?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3654606
>>>
>>> Why tie your certification to a single company that's struggling (e.g.
>>> MSCE)?
>>
>> Not sure "struggling" is quite the right word here.
>>
>> Yet.
>> :-)
>>
>> But at present MSFT is near its 52-week high.  (Go figure!)
>> And its operating margin is at 39.38% (though I'm not sure
>> it's reported yet).  RHT's, by contrast, is at 15.05%,
>> and is currently trading at 21.69, nowhere near its 52week
>> high of 32.48 (but not near its low of 13.70, either).
>>
>> Still...there's something on the wall here; could be writing.  :-)
>>
>> [rest snipped for brevity]
>
> The value os the stock says very little. They are pumping billions into it
> ATM.

No, but the margin figures are very interesting.  Microsoft's margin has
fallen from 44% to 39% in about 1 year, although as their product has
virtually no production costs, it's hard to see quite why their margin
is so /low/.  In the case of RedHat, which has a completely different
business model, getting a margin of 15% is pretty good.  In the
long-run, unless Microsoft can con the world into another round of
Windows, their revenues will plummet, although they'll still run with
high margins, but nowhere near what they were if they're relying on
consumer goods sales, the likes of Xbox & Zune.

By the yard, life is hard.
By the inch, it's a cinch.