Re: [News] Vista Upgrade: "Just Lovely"

__/ [ Kier ] on Saturday 20 January 2007 08:05 \__

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:54:55 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:50:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz quoted:

>> Kelsey Bjarnason 7/14/2005:  "FC4 apparently decided that the expendable
>> boot drive was not to be touched, and instead, yes, you guessed it, it
>> nuked
>> /home.  Something like 13Gb of data on the drive, merrily nuked."
>>
>> Kelsey Bjarnason 7/14/2005:  "Six separate runs produce similar results;
>> every other distro installs just
>> fine, FC4 *will not* install."
>>
>> Buford 7/14/2005: "An earlier Fedora Core release rendered Windows XP
>> unbootable on my system."
>>
>> Rich Bell 7/17/2005: "The last time I tried to install Mandrake
>> (pre-Mandriva), it misidentified my RAID drives as being separate drives."
>>
>> "A Debian developer has warned around 30 percent of users upgrading to the
>> new version of his project's Linux distribution would seriously disrupt
>> their systems in the process."
>> http://www.linux.org/news/2005/06/10/0008.html
>>
>> Ubuntu xorg-server update breaks X: "no screens found"
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/23/137206
>>
>> "Gentoo for AMD64 upgrade breaks sound"  http://tinyurl.com/34cp7t
>>
>> on and on and on
>
> And the trolls *still* have the lying gall to suggest Linux advocates
> think Linux is 'perfect'.

Linux as just a kernel...?

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Installation issues can sometimes/always be blamed on hardware manufacturers
who don't release their specs. By contrast, OEM's and Microsoft work hand in
glove to ensure various Windows installers 'just works'. On the face of it,
when the hardware faces an O/S it has never 'seen' (Vista, which is just an
extnesion of XP), it coughs.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S