Re: [News] Ubuntu Inherits Novell's GNOME Control Center

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
1251095.M95DjDBnaR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 1/16/07 3:24 PM:

> __/ [ Snit ] on Tuesday 16 January 2007 21:42 \__
>
>> "7" <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
>> ywbrh.32022$k74.1724@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 1/16/07 2:33 PM:

>>> Snot dude, Maks suck, so does windopz, just buy a PC, install GNU/Linux
>>> and be done with it.
>>>
>> In what way do you think GNU/Linux would work better for me than the Mac I
>> use now?
>
> The one thing to remember is that Apple enslaves what it perceives as
> "customer".

I am not enslaved... I make a free choice to use what I have found to work
best for me and to be the best value for me.

> There is no "user" per se. Data is stored in proprietary formats;

>From what program?

> the customer becomes accustomed to or dependent on something that's commercial
> (e.g. Finder), which makes exit barriers high(er). As/if the cost of the
> product rises, the customer must accept and comply.

If something offers me a better value I can move to something different -
even easier now that Apple uses Intel.

> A decentralised approach to development gives you software that you control;

Can you give an example where this "control" would benefit me in a way that
my current software does not?

> not software that controls /you/ (and your wallet). You never know how
> things evolve... DRM-wise... restrictions-wide... in litigious terms...
> availability (who will maintain the code _if_ Apple reached bankruptcy in 10
> years?)... the list goes on...

Again: if something serves me better I can move to it.  Not sure where you
get the idea of *enslavement*.  Bizarre.

Do you feel that way about your hardware?  There is no open source CPU... so
you are using a proprietary CPU (and other hardware).  Do you feel
"enslaved" to AMD or Intel or whoever you use?

> Do you /own/ your O/S. Or are you just licensed to use somebody else's? Take
> the test drive. The car is yours.

I agree Linux is cheaper.  That does not mean it is necessarily the best
choice.

--
? It is OK to email yourself files and store them there for a few weeks
? No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)