Re: Proof That the NSA Puts Trapdoors in Windows

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Sunday 14 January 2007 18:31 \__

> on Jan 14 2007  Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>> As a comprimize the PGP encryption was modified
>> to  enable the NSA to more easily decrypt the story.
>
> Do you have any citation for this. My understanding is they prosecuted
> Phil Zimmermann and tried to get the code suppressed.

I thought the same thing. Will OpenSSH be affected similarly? I am aware that
software like PuTTY is actually forbidden in many countries.

>> But remember that the Clinton Administration was trying to legislate
>> and mandate the clipper chip, which had the little back door in it
>
> Do you have any citation for this. My understanding is that the clipper
> chip used key escrow, therefore no cracking would be needed.
>
>>  Shortly after it was introduced to the public, it was cracked
>> and found to be completely ineffective for security purposes.
>
> Do you have any citation for this.

Thanks for another insightful post, Rex. I read it over lunch.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie