Re: Linux ported to Zune ..

  • Subject: Re: Linux ported to Zune ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:40:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 14 January 2007 10:28 \__

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:34:07 -0500
> Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>>
>> > "A commercial Linux bootloader and open source Linux distribution
>> > will be offered for Microsoft's Zune multimedia player, according
>> > to forum posts at Zuneboards.com"
>> >
>> > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4895441922.html
>>
>> If the wifi is opened up also, I may actually buy one.
>
> if it uses a standard chip, such as prism or hermes then it should be
> no problem once it boots the kernel.

See the latest video, which may or may not be authentic.

Big News: Zune runs on Linux operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| This was like "OMG" it's a big surprise, i am not sure if this video
| is fake or the real one. However this guy that post the video on
| youtube nick name "MysVidel" believed to has hacked Zune to run on
| Linux. Don't let all the Zune fans down "MysVidel".
`----

http://tech-gadgets.blogspot.com/2007/01/big-news-zune-runs-on-linux-operating.html

Buying a Microsoft device will still have a positive effect on their
/perceived/ market share, so it's probably a bad idea. Also, no warranty, no
dedicated support...

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/5                         Sun Jan 14 11:25   still logged in