[News] iPhone Already Has a Linux Challenger

iPhone vs OpenMoko: The open alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenMoko team have been working on a cell phone to be manufactured by
| First International Computers, the motherboard manufacturer. Using a
| GNU/Linux base, OpenMoko intends the NEO1973 to be both a proof-of-concept
| device, and a reference platform.
|
| [...]
|
| Comparing Apple's iPhone to the NEO1973 is an interesting
| excersise. Aesthetically, the iPhone is slightly more stylish. The
| iPhone has more storage with 4G or 8G, versus the NEO1973's 64MB;
| however, the NEO1973 has a microSD slot, with which you can use 1G
| microSD cards. The iPhone has WiFi built in, whereas the first
| release of the NEO1973 will not. Also, the iPhone has a 2
| Megapixel camera. The NEO1973 has no camera.
|
| [...]
|
| An option that is US$150 cheaper, with no service provider
| contract required.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1321

Related - Linux-based iPod challengers:

CES: New Linux-based Wireless MP3 Player

,----[ Quote ]
| Tegic's new open software application framework, codenamed
| SmartScreens, enables businesses in the mobile device and
| content industry to deliver compelling consumer solutions
| for a broad range of wirelessly connected devices.
`----

http://www.smartscreensmobile.com/media-solution.php

Wizpy Linux based media player

,----[ Quote ]
| Media player wispy from Turbolinux Corporation is a Linux based media
| player. With a 1.7" OLED liquid crystal display and 4GB flash memory
| the media player comes with pre installed Linux system.
`----

http://www.iyiz.com/media-devices/wizpy-linux-based-media-player/

Archos (Linux-based) 604 WiFi Ultimate Gallery: Why It's a Zune Challenger

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/archos-604-wifi-ultimate-gallery-why-its-a-zune-challenger-213637.php