Re: [News] CrossOver Linux 6 Released, Runs Windows Applications Under Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] CrossOver Linux 6 Released, Runs Windows Applications Under Linux
  • From: amosf  Tim Fairchild <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:42:55 +1000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
amicus_curious wrote:

>> CodeWeavers Unveils CrossOver Mac, Enabling Mac OS X Users To Run Windows
>> Applications Natively
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | CrossOver Mac mirrors the release of CrossOver Linux 6.0, a new
>> | version of CodeWeavers? Windows-to-Linux compatibility product.
>> | CrossOver Linux is the new name for CrossOver Office, the company's
>> | flagship solution built on Wine, the open source Unix implementation
>> | of the Win32 API.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/?id=20070109
>>

> It is difficult to fathom the elation of the Linux advocates over this
> program's ability to run Windows programs and so lower the bar to change
> from Windows to Linux use on the desktop.  A cursory review of program
> compatibility shows a deadful lack of functional support for many of the
> more popular Windows programs.  Mos are in the "Untested" category and
> even the ones claimed to be compatible are rife with know defects that
> would surely preclude shipping the application if they were present in a
> true
> Windows environment.  Accepting this poor level of performance is a sign
> of desperation on the part of the Linux (and Macintosh) fans.

Works well, thanks. You're just jealous that you have to use real windows.
It's okay. Keep up the study and you might work out linux one day.

> And it is not "free" at that.  The price seems to be $70 which approaches
> the street pricing for a Windows upgrade and greatly surpasses any
> Microsoft
> "tax" deemed to be present due to OEM inclusion of Windows licenses.
> There is nothing here to persuade any reasonable individual to try to use
> Linux with legacy applications that may be owned and liked.

The difference is that linux users can use free wine if they want. Its the
same thing. Crossover just gives a nice interface and some install help
with the deliberately difficult MS apps.

I pay as it's a nice donation to the wine project, and it's cost a fraction
of what 'real' windows would cost and I can use it without having to use
that malware magnet thing they call an OS...