Re: With Vista, Microsoft Throws Good Money After Bad

__/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Wednesday 31 January 2007 16:11 \__

> The thinking in Redmond, Washington seems to be, "We've spent all this
> money developing Windows Vista; now we should spend a lot of money
> marketing it." $500 million, to be precise.
>
> Microsoft (MSFT) desperately needs a basic lesson in economics and an
> introduction to the notion of sunk cost. That money you spent on
> Vista?  It's gone. And spending more on marketing a fundamentally
> uninteresting product doesn't make it any less gone.
>
> The early reviews are in, and every indication is that Microsoft's ad
> campaign for Vista is money ill spent. ZDNet's Mitch Ratcliffe says
> that the ads, promising a "Wow," set up buyers for
> disappointment. After all, most prospective buyers of Vista would be
> installing the operating system on an older PC that won't be able to
> run the new graphical features of Vista, if it can even run Vista at
> all.
>
> And tech blogger Chris Pirillo, exposed to a supposedly hip "teaser"
> campaign for Vista, reacts violently against it. "I'm merely baffled
> at what a horrible waste of resources this was," he writes.
>
> <http://blogs.business2.com/beta/2007/01/with_vista_micr.html>

To quote the two named individuals:

Wow, $500 million in Vista marketing on the wrong message

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, people have been making that decision about their operating
| system every day for the past five years. They decide to stay with
| Windows or to move to Linux or Macintosh. The Vista campaign relies
| on a consistent expression that Vista is better, even though early
| reviews have cautioned customers that, compared to other OSes, Vistai
| sn't a breakthrough.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ratcliffe/?p=249

And from the Microsoft MVP:

Vista's UI is Better Than This!?

,----[ Quote ]
| Watch and drool. By the way, you can try this on your own PC right now!
| I'm not yet sure how to unlock every one of these visual effects, but
| damn - XGL is impressive...
`----    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/06/vistas-ui-is-better-than-this/

Microsoft Power Users, Part II

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no Microsoft Power User "WinHEC" out there. Microsoft
| is all about the developer, and seldom seems to cater to the
| true enthusiasts. There's a loosely-constructed MVP program
| (of which I am a member, with the Windows Digital Media
| distinction), but no real company mission to listen to what's
| going on in the world outside the Microsoft (to use their word)e
| cosystem. And because of that, we end up with sloppy,
| "just good enough" experiences. My earlier post on the
| pre-beta of Longhorn illustrates my point ENTIRELY.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2005/04/27/microsoft-power-users-part-i/

Vista Will Double Apple's Market Share

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/c0611/44c11/44c11.asp&guid=8CF5E5CB35CB42E1857F6F42970E2A2C
http://tinyurl.com/ya7x59

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Cpu(s):  23.7% user,   2.8% system,   0.7% nice,  72.8% idle