Re: Vista security claim challenged

__/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Wednesday 31 January 2007 14:39 \__

> Security experts have thrown doubt on Bill Gates' claim that Vista is
> "more secure" than other operating systems.
>
> It may be more secure than other versions of Windows, they said, but
> there are older operating systems that are still safer.
>
> Others said that its security rested on how people use the new system
> rather than on any individual technology.
>
> There is also evidence that malicious hackers are refining attacks to
> cope with the changes Vista makes.
>
> Old iron
>
> Mr Gates made the claim that Vista was "dramatically more secure"
> during an interview with BBC News. He said the improved security in
> Vista was a reason all by itself to upgrade from Windows XP.

Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
| you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
| Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
| this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
| XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
| yet again.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2357&Itemid=449

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Breakdown... 99.95% Windows... no, neither installed base nor 'market
share'..

http://www.eweek.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=&s=25954&a=194164&po=4,00.asp

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.