[News] Miguel de Icaza (of Novell) Jumps to Microsoft's Rescue

The EU Prosecutors are Wrong.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft had produced 760 pages (the size of ODF) as the
| documentation for the ".doc", ".xls" and ".ppt" that lacked for
| example the formula specification, wouldn't people justly demand
| that the specification was incomplete and was useless?
|
| I would have to agree at that point with the EU that not enough
| information was available to interoperate with Microsoft Office.
|
| If anything, if I was trying to interoperate with Microsoft
| products, I would request more, not less.
`----

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Jan-30.html

Coming from him, this stance is unsurprising. He was also quite adamant in
COLA not only as an apologist, but also as a promoter of Microsoft
technologies.

Recent:

FFII opposes Fasttrack adoption of Microsoft OOXML format as ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII has several concerns with the proposed standard. OpenXML
| relies on undisclosed patents, and undisclosed or incomplete
| licensing terms that make any independent reimplementation
| impossible or heavily risky. It obliges implementors to
| reverse-engineer the behavior of old closed Microsoft
| applications and formats. It uses non-standard formats for
| languages and dates, and specifies known bugs, such as
| treating 1900 as a leap year.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_opposes_Fasttrack_adoption_of_Microsoft_OOXML_format_as_ISO_standard
http://tinyurl.com/2qxk7p

IT Standrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness

,----[ Quote ]
| To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the
| ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise
| contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to
| encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal
| contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly
| before 5th February 2007.
`----

http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=29267&hilite=

OOXML v. ODF: What a Week!

,----[ Quote ]
| ...OOXML is no traditional specification, weighing in at over
| 6,000 pages.  During this phase, eligible JTC1 members can note
| ways in which the proposed standard overlaps other standards,
| fails to incorporate available ISO standards, or otherwise does
| not meet ISO rules (a second, five month period will begin on
| February 5, during which technical and other objections may
| be raised).
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070125060934582

Open source lobby fury over Office format fast-track

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102898/open-source-lobby-fury-over-office-format-fasttrack.html
http://tinyurl.com/37vouh