[News] Speculation: Microsoft Could Buy RIM to Challenge Linux, iPhone

Should Microsoft Buy RIM? It May Be Time For An XPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| With Microsoft and RIM together, the integration of Zune with
| BlackBerry Pearl becomes a reality. The combined product would have
| Phone, Email and Text Messaging, Internet, Instant Messaging, Camera
| and MP3 Player as well as multi-media player capabilities. Throw
| in a condensed version of Xbox video game console and you have a
| complete package perfect for todays X, Y and Z generations.
`----

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/25293

Linux is gaining great traction in this space and it is said to be destined
for domination in the market of smartphones. The recent mobile Linux
alliance supports this.

Related:

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_revolution

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]
| While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete
| reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware.
| OpenMoko is an open Linux-based mobile application development
| platform that's designed to help operators and developers build
| innovative applications on top of a basic phone platform.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/01/15/open_phone/

Major mobile alliance go for GTK+

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications, Samsung
| Electronics, and Vodafone recently announced the LiMo Alliance which aims
| to provide its members with a shared Linux platform for mobile phones.
| Not many details are known yet, but one of the things mentioned in
| their Architecture Abstract is that this new mobile platform will be
| using GTK+ for its GUI. So along with Nokia's Maemo platform and th
| recently announced OpenMoko platform things are looking very good
| for GTK+ in the mobile space.
`----

http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2855

Cellphone giants unveil mobile Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Six of the world's largest telecommunications companies have
| officially launched a non-profit organization dedicated to
| creating a common mobile Linux software platform. Founded by
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications,
| Samsung Electronics, and Vodafone, the LiMo Foundation is
| inviting membership and participation from application
| and middleware developers.

ITU: Mobile Linux gaining momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| There has always been a lot of drive behind Linux on the mobile
| in Asia where there is a more experimental attitude towards
| handset platforms, but the word at ITU 2006 in Hong Kong this
| week is that interest in the rebel operating system is bleeding
| over into Europe and the US.
`----

http://www.telecoms.com/itmgcontent/tcoms/require-reg.html?prevurl=/tcoms/news/articles/20017390585.html&artid=20017390585&producttype=news&from=M@T-TopNews
http://tinyurl.com/yyp6sr

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Review: Motorola ROKR E2 Music Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| I am really happy with the Motorola ROKR E2. I like its funky looks
| and I certainly love the new UI. I am glad that Motorola is finally
| shaping up and realizing all the shortcomings of its previous aging UI.
`----

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=2983

Motorola Begins Bringing Linux To Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola today announced two upgraded devices it hopes will bring
| Linux into the hands of mainstream users - even in the US.
`----                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2021

Motorola A910 Linux Phone Gets FCC Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| The phone runs a special Linux-Java operating system and
| boasts WiFi connectivity over UMA. The A910 is equipped
| with a 1.3 megapixel camera and Lumi-LED Flash technology.
`----

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/motorola_a910_linux_phone_gets_fcc_approval.html
http://tinyurl.com/y5whve

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

EDN highlights Linux's success in phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux powered about a quarter of all "feature phones" shipped in
| 2005, according to market analysts cited by Webb. Linux grew
| fastest in Asia, in phones from NEC, Panasonic, and Motorola,
| he notes. Meanwhile, mobile subscribers worldwide are expected
| to grow from 100 million to about 350 million, thanks largely to
| cellular rollouts in India, he says.

Mobile Devices Adopt Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't have to be completely immersed in the world of technology
| to know that we're in the middle of an open source revolution.
| Even people who don't know much about computers and technology
| can recognize that there's been a rising trend for people to
| customize existing products and openly share information that
| can benefit vast numbers of people and foster creativity. Instead
| of just using what's being given to us, we're starting to take
| control, and this has enhanced the markets and the communities.
|
| As time goes on, more and more people are desiring software that
| is open, and once they get a taste of what that's like, they then
| move on to desiring operating systems that are open, which has led
| to greater Linux adoption. Linux is an OS that is free and accessible
| to computer users, and if they choose to install and use it, then
| they can let their inner hacker roam free by customizing the OS to
| their liking on so many levels.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2420&Itemid=449

Motorola makes Linux breakthrough with RIZR Z6

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola's first Linux handset for the US market, the RIZR Z6, is
| also likely to be the first in the industry to run an "open"
| operating system - Linux, Symbian OS or Windows on a single-
| rather than dual-processor architecture.
|
| This shows that Linux is making significant improvements in its
| suitability to be an operating system for mobile devices, and
| could give Motorola a significant headstart in the battle to
| create low power, low cost smartphones.
|
| [...]
|
| The RIZR Z6, demonstrated at the CES show and expected to ship by
| mid year, is said to be based on Freescale's i.MX31 system-on-chip,
| one of the first to use the ARM11 core. Motorola will also add a
| new, faster Linux user interface, called JUIX (pronounced "juice").
|
| As Linux becomes more mainstream in cellphones, many players are
| seeking to address its user interface shortcomings, notably Nokia,
| which has become a Linux convert of late, and Access, the Japanese
| browser maker that acquired Palmsource and is adapting the
| well-liked Palm UI for mobile Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/19/motorola_linux_phone/

Open Source Goes Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| A constant theme at the conference was the burgeoning role of open
| source in mobile phones, particularly "smart phones" (those with
| extended functionality like music players, document viewers, etc.).
| What was interesting to me was that most of the discussion about opens
| ource (Linux, really) seemed to be focused on the flexibility and
| cost reduction opportunities it provided for equipment and servicep
| roviders. There was, interestingly, no mention of a desire to
| avoid dependency upon Microsoft's offering; to me this seemed
| strange because Microsoft has a habit of entering markets --
| even hardware markets -- when they're big enough, and causing
| real pain to their partners who depend upon Microsoft for their
| software platform: can you say Zune? As I said, this was not
| mentioned even once, which to my mind indicates a blind spot,
| as I could easily see Microsoft deciding to enter the smart
| phone market when it gets large enough.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/539

Linux makes Mot tops in PDA/smartphone growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Strong Linux smartphone sales in China helped Motorola achieve
| the highest overall year-on-year growth among the top five vendors
| in the PDA/Smartphone market, according to Gartner. In contrast,M
| otorola's Symbian- and Microsoft-based smartphones are "not
| making significant progress," Gartner reports.

Chinese 3G TEM joins Mobile Linux Initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese government-owned TEM (telecommunications equipment manufacturer)
| and handset vendor Datang Mobile has joined the OSDL (Open SourceD
| evelopment Labs) and will participate in the Mobile Linux Initiative
| (MLI) to improve the Linux kernel for mobile phones. Datang markets
| 3G infrastructure equipment and handset designs in China and
| globally.

Goodbye Razr, hello Linux-based Motofone

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is shipping the first model in its Scpl ("scalpel") line
| of Linux-based phones set to replace the ubiquitous Razr. The
| Motofone F3, available today in India, is an extremely low-end
| phone featuring an "electronic paper" display, breakthrough battery
| life, and usability features for the illiterate.

Linux phone market opening up?

,----[ Quote ]
| Four vendors are helping change Linux-based phones from
| voice-focused appliances into multimedia computers, according
| to Sascha Segan of PC Magazine. OpenMoko, TrollTech, Nokia,
| and Motorola are each using open source to cut costs, add
| flexibility, and/or to attract community and commercial
| developers, writes Segan.

Startup Promises First Linux Smartphone Based On Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Taiwanese startup that develops mobile hardware and
| software, next month plans to start selling what it claims to
| be the first Linux smartphone based completely on open standards.
|
| [...]
|
| Access, a Japanese mobile software company that acquired PalmSource--the
| maker of the Palm OS--also is planning to introduce its commercial-grade
| Linux OS for smartphones in the first half of this year. But parts of it,
| including the user interface, are proprietary and closed to developers,
| says Moss-Pultz.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196802206

Smartphones Now: Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you thought Linux-based OSes were for back rooms, hardcore
| geeks, and computer science grad students, you'd be right.
| Recently, however, its made great strides toward becoming much
| more "user friendly," even advancing to the point where
| they're usable as phones.
|
| [...]
|
| If you're a first-time smartphone buyer, and have never owned a
| PDA of any kind, then the learning curve for Linux devices isn't much
| different than that of Windows Mobile or Palm OS or Symbian devices...
`----

http://crunchgear.com/2006/11/03/smartphones-now-linux/

Linux prominent at Smartphone Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| An annual technical and business conference devoted to smartphones of
| all stripes, including Linux smartphones, is set for Sept. 11, in
| Los Angeles.

Smartphone market takes off

,----[ Quote ]
| While new applications such as push email are driving enterprise demand
| for converged devices, they are also becoming popular with consumers,
| according to IDC. Additionally, high-level embedded operating systems such
| as Linux enable enhanced multimedia applications geared toward a richer
| video and imaging experience. As a result, vendors are increasingly
| characterizing these devices as "prosumer," IDC says.

Linux on Your Smartphone - Motorola A1200

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are already a Linux user, you are probably used to glossing
| over a few inconveniences the rest of the world takes for granted.
| In this sense, the phone lives up to its Linux heritage. If you can
| put up with the minor inconveniences mentioned above, and use some
| simple workarounds, this Bluetooth and GPRS-capable phone may just
| grow on you.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/10/08/linux-on-your-smartphone-motorola-a1200/

LEAKED: Motorola loves Linux - E690 PDA Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Motorola is making another non-RAZR, which in itself
| is exciting news. The E690 is a PDA/phone that runs on Linux, yes, Linux.
| It has standard PDA touchscreen and writing functions, as well as some
| decent multimedia support - including every video and audio file you
| could want played through two "3D surround" speakers (where you actually
| store the media, we don't really know). The phone also supports
| Bluetooth, WPA with full Internet browsing, and Office App viewing.
`----

MOTOMING is The Best Linux Smart Phone From Motorolla

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.storeplace.net/2006/08/26/motoming-is-the-best-linux-smart-phone-from-motorolla/

,----[ Quote ]
| Within the next couple of years, Linux will power more than half of
| the phones shipped by number two global handset vendor Motorola...

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/leaked-motorola-loves-linux-e690-pda-phone-199607.php

Orange first mobile giant off the mark with Linux program

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/23/orange_adopts_linux/

,----[ Quote ]
| Smartphones, such as those based on Linux, currently represent about a
| tenth of the wireless phone market, In-Stat says. The research firm
| expects smartphones to account for a quarter of mobile phone sales
| within five years, however.

A Million Linux Smart Phones Shipped in China, Q2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

                        http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/3904