Re: UK less than enthusiastic about Vista launch

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 30 January 2007 09:07 \__

http://www.itpro.co.uk/applications/news/103313/no-midnight-madness-for-uk-vista-launch.html

>> You do of couse realise that you're giving the shills justification for
>> forging /us/...
>>
>> Some of the nymshifing trolls appear to be the same guy, who is almost
>> certainly being 'compensated' by Microsoft. None of this is a concidence.
>> Microsoft is desparate for attention and hype while everyone who is in
>> touch with reality just yawns. Vista has many new lockins and any lock (or
>> hijacking of technology) will buy Microsoft a few more months of cashflow.
>>

> I don't see why Larry's post was different to your post which in my reader
> comes next in the list. You linked to 'Orlando yarns...' Larry linked to
> what basically is 'The UK yarns...'. Why is his post relevant to Shills
> (whoever he is) and yours isn't?

It's not Larry. It's an imposter.

> Anyway, no amount of hipe is really going to help MS this time. The mags no
> doubt will go hell-for-leather on Vista, because traditionally a new OS has
> been a big mag seller. But I don't hear excited yaps from users this time.
> Of cause Vista will give MS a bit of a boost, there are always the
> hobbyists, but it is very likely going to be short lived this time.

Magazines certainly affect the minds of what some people refer to as the
'masses'.

> The sale of OEMs is not going to feed a monster the size of MS for long. MS
> are in serious trouble, or very soon will be.

The big challenge is not at the home-level, but the business level. No
business buys new hardware for flash. They seek compelling reasons for
spendings. No buggy RTM packs enough punch to justify a departure from a
comparatively mature SP2.

> I think it is a great shame actually, that is genuine, I don't use MS
> myself, but I have absolutely no objection to other people choosing it.

It does annoy me a great deal, however, when people use technologies that
exclude non-Windows users. Examples: Exchange, Windows-only programs and
formats. I am also annoyed to be flooded by SPAM (and sometimes DDOS
attacks). So, yeah, Windows prevalence affects all of us.

> MS had the time and money to do something great. Five years, could have
> rewritten the whole thing by now, but it seems that they were not very
> willing to hire top notch people to do the design/programming for them.
> From what I can see they just used VB and C# programmers, probably those
> guys who have done one of those two week courses in Blackpool, you know
> those courses, where you booze away the nights, then each morning white
> faced you stare gormlessly at a whiteboard while someone mumbles away and
> all that is in your head is the desperate need for a coffee and a toilet.
>
> I can't help wondering why MS didn't do more with Vista, it surely can't
> have been pure greed, an unwillingness to spend their money on a few good
> quallity design teams. They could have paid for those out of their petty
> cash. Any software house, big or small, knows that they can not sit on the
> current release of their software, this release must pay for the next,
> between releases is a time to work not a time to sit around idle. Assuming
> you put your all into the current release, then you need to give your all
> plus some more to the next one.

You are talking about engineers, but don't forget that the quality is said to
be declining. The good folks are hopping onto the next big wave, e.g.
Google.

As the former Project Manager of Excel said:

,----[ Quote ]
| The only way Microsoft has managed to hire so many people
| has been by lowering their hiring standards significantly...

> It's the way these things work, it's the only way the gamining software
> houses were able to keep the excitement in the gamining markets.
>
> MSs lack of effort can only come from poor management.
>
> I wish I was in charge there, I'd show them a thing or two. That isn't
> blowing my own trumpet, I am not saying that I could come up with the ideas
> and code to sort out MS Windows. But I do know the sort of teams that I
> would bring into the fold, I know the sort of software designers I would
> bring in, I most certainly would not allow the board of directors nor
> accountants direct the designs.
>
> Vista should have been the best OS the world has ever seen simply because
> of the teams they could have called on to write it, it isn't that and what
> ever bits and pieces that MS are holding back to add later are not going to
> put that right.
>
> So, don't worry about Vista Roy, it isn't going to be a problem for very
> long.

Let's make that "not very long" just "short". The sooner it's passed, the
better. It's set to spread some damage, e.g. DRM, XAMP, HD (JPEG rival),
XPS, etc. I hope the European Commission will knock and hammer a few nail on
that coffin before the monster wags its dinosaur-like tail. Microsoft will
not go down quietly and the more threatened it feels, the more aggressive
it'll become. It will just pay off the victim to escape convictions in
court. But the crook can't just always pay for the bail-out. Someone ought
to step in and I doubt Bush is going to do anything. Haha... Nader
criticised Microsoft, but if only he could get any interest or attention...

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
 10:00am  up 7 days 10:18,  6 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.48, 0.62