Re: [News] The Register: Vista is Not Ready

> __/ [ yttrx ] on Monday 29 January 2007 15:14 \__
>
>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>>> wisdom:

>>> Hubris:
>>>
>>>   Fortunately, Microsoft has a web site devoted to answering these
>>>   questions, although it takes the ludicrously arrogant stance of
>>>   informing potential punters whether or not they are ready for Vista,
>>>   rather than the other way round. It's quite irritating, actually,
>>>   because the only question that needs answering is whether MS and
>>>   partners have enough device drivers handy and have exorcised enough
>>>   of the bugs from this bloatware monster to enable it to run properly
>>>   on the equipment that most users have got.
>>>

>> They haven't.  Give Vista a year and it'll probably be pretty good as
>> long as you dont want to watch any movies or listen to music on it.
>
> At that stage of maturity -- however well-established it will be -- Vista
> will /still/ fail to show the value one gets for the money (hardware and
> software). The added value seems to be missing, unless one is shallow enough
> to just stare at Aero Glass. All the innovative features have been conceded
> and planned for the next release, but judging by the state of Vista, a lot
> of work lies ahead and it mainly involves bugfixing and code rewrites (see
> ref below). In my humble opinion, if you thought Vista was a fluke, you
> ain't seen nothing yet. At least 7 prominent articles have argued that Vista
> (or Windows) is the last of its kind.

I'm not one for reading a lot or articles actually, I like actually getting
my hands on a thing and figuring out how much it sucks for myself.  Have you
actually used Vista?

Vista *does* suck, and it sucks for many of the reasons that are touted in
all the articles you keep linking to.  But there's more to it than articles,
and I don't really take too terribly many "prediction" pieces very seriously,
no matter who writes them.  They're usually completely wrong.

The root of this and most issues discussed around here is the tendency for
everyone (and I mean everyone, this includes everyone here as well as
everywhere else) to fall for the old standby marketing strategy of convincing
the customer of this:

IT IS NEW NEW NEW THEREFORE ITS GREAT GREAT GREAT

Clearly for any thinking person, this is not always the case.  But the
common computer aficionado is not a thinking person.

So a lot of people will upgrade to Vista for fear of "being left behind",
when really XP does everything they need it to.  And lots of people will
upgrade to the latest Ubuntu version when it comes out, again for the
exact same fear of "being left behind".  And both camps will make fun of
Debian users, who's collective kernel is over two years old and therefore,
for some reason, not "cool".

You're all idiots, really.

-----yttrx

--