Re: [News] The Register: Vista is Not Ready

__/ [ yttrx ] on Monday 29 January 2007 15:14 \__

> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> Is Windows Vista ready for you?
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/29/windows_vista_still_not_ready/
>>
>> Hubris:
>>
>>   Fortunately, Microsoft has a web site devoted to answering these
>>   questions, although it takes the ludicrously arrogant stance of
>>   informing potential punters whether or not they are ready for Vista,
>>   rather than the other way round. It's quite irritating, actually,
>>   because the only question that needs answering is whether MS and
>>   partners have enough device drivers handy and have exorcised enough
>>   of the bugs from this bloatware monster to enable it to run properly
>>   on the equipment that most users have got.
>>

> They haven't.  Give Vista a year and it'll probably be pretty good as
> long as you dont want to watch any movies or listen to music on it.

At that stage of maturity -- however well-established it will be -- Vista
will /still/ fail to show the value one gets for the money (hardware and
software). The added value seems to be missing, unless one is shallow enough
to just stare at Aero Glass. All the innovative features have been conceded
and planned for the next release, but judging by the state of Vista, a lot
of work lies ahead and it mainly involves bugfixing and code rewrites (see
ref below). In my humble opinion, if you thought Vista was a fluke, you
ain't seen nothing yet. At least 7 prominent articles have argued that Vista
(or Windows) is the last of its kind.

Trust me, I'm being a realist here, not a pessimist. I once used Windows, but
the capacity of one's mind in development is limited. Operating systems have
become large and complex and the only way to manage them is by division of
very partinent components and letting field experts (even eccentric
hobbyists) handle those. There must be competition going on for each of
these elements as well, for inspiration, aspiration, and choice (e.g. no
single filesystem or desktop environment is best for everyone, let alone for
every task, which is why benchmarks are complex and inconclusive). Lastly,
open source is the path to peer review, but it's not enough. Freedom and
enthusiasm beat paychecks, no matter how generous these might be. Control
cannot deal a democracy, especially when people communicate. China can
censor (even suppress); Microsoft cannot.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
Mem:    514480k total,   483156k used,    31324k free,    15156k buffers