Re: Whiteboards are a failure ..

  • Subject: Re: Whiteboards are a failure ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:13:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 29 January 2007 16:43 \__

> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>
>> 'A £50 Million scheme to replace school blackboards with hi-tech
>> "whiteboards" has failed to improve pupils' results, a report .. by
>> the Institute of Education at the University of London'
>>
>> METRO Jan 29 2007
>
> What is hi-tech about them? If it is those that give a print out, then I'd
> say those are a mistake in schools, because the act of copying the
> blackboard is an aid to memory, whereas printouts will get shoved into the
> haversack and never seen again.

Good point, but there are better ways of memorising taught material. In my
last 2 years at school I refused to write down things that I could simply
'absorb' using the textbook. It turned out just fine. As for printouts, I've
been paperless for many years for exactly the reasons that you mention.
Paper is being disposed of due to volume, complexity, and aging. Not the
case with digital equivalents. Data retention, indexing, searching, etc. is
a big plus, which aids organisation.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
Swap:  1036184k total,   397164k used,   639020k free,    86440k cached