Re: [News] "Ultimate Edition" is Now Free

__/ [ Nick Ballard ] on Monday 29 January 2007 09:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Still crippled. You buy a computer with a set of incomplete software tools
>> (disabled). Your credit card will unlock them [1,2], after the initial
>> purchase is made and you find yourself facing man-made fences. This
>> doesn't include Office either, but then again, OOo is free. Could pass
>> over Windows, wipe the HDD, put Linux on it and get OOo within 15-20
>> minutes on a modern machine (plus some other nice S/W).
>
> No kidding.  Ubuntu took about 15-20 minutes to install on my PC, and
> about another 10-15 to update the software and install the additional
> applications that I wanted. This was all automated with Synaptic.
>
> Windows XP, on the other hand, had to be "restored" from an OEM rescue
> disc over the course of a few hours.  All of the third-party "craplets",
> as Microsoft calls them, had to be removed one at a time through the
> Add/Remove Programs dialog.  I had to install all of my drivers from the
> manufacturers' CDs, one at a time, with several reboots required, and
> then download and install each of my desktop applications individually.
>   Even after several weeks of having my WinXP partition restored, I
> don't have nearly as much functionality and productivity as with Linux.
>   It's basically good for playing games and syncing a handheld.  Not
> much else.

An installation process needn't be trivial when you force 99% of the OEMs to
have it preinstalled. It is yet another example of the danger of
mono[polies|culture].

Case to empower this point: http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

        (launched just 2 days ago)

This morning I read a blog of a guy who followed the above route to install
Debian.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
Mem:    514480k total,   485204k used,    29276k free,     6276k buffers