Re: It will take 100 Years for a linux desktop

  • Subject: Re: It will take 100 Years for a linux desktop
  • From: Nick Ballard <nrballardco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:51:59 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, sci.math
flatfish+++ wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:08:30 -0800, Mike Cox wrote:

So even if something _is_ exponential growing, it *could* take 100
years to have 100% market share?  Exponential in my mind meant that it
has 10 percent one year, and then 15 the next and 60 the third...In my
mind, linux appeared to have a linear growth rate of about 1% a year.
But I'm not a math major so it appears that you are saying that
exponential growth can also follow a pattern as follows:

year 1: 1% market share
year 2: 2% market share
year 3: 3% market share
year 20: 20% market share
year 100: 100% market share
etc.

So it is entirely feasible for somthing to grow exponentially, and
still only be 1 market share point bigger each year, which is all I
really wanted to point out. The reason is that there are these people
who advocate an operating system as a desktop solution, and have been
doing so since 2001.

Linux IIRC has stayed at 1% market share up until last
year when it reached 2 percent, mostly because they did improve some
items in Linux, although media playing capabilities have declined. (No
mp3, mpeg, wmv) support in centos for example. The items I will give
them credit for is firefox in linux which doesn't crash as much as
Mozilla did in RHET linux 7.1 for me in 2000.

Because VISTA is content provider friendly, it will get a lot of media
from hollywood which will keep the masses happy.

My engineering math is extremely rusty, but, wouldn't it be more of a geometric progression like the old chess board problem?

IOW 1 percent, 2 percent, 4 percent, 8 percent, 16 percent.......etc....

IOW a grain of salt on square one, 2 grains on square 2 etc......

Exactly...as shown in the link Roy posted.