Re: The Spam Problem

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Sunday 28 January 2007 19:27 \__

> Good thing it's been solved!
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17500979

It could take a while.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
|                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
|                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Can someone estimate how many zombies we had in 2004? The capacity for
destruction is already far beyond sufficient to take the Web down to its
knees. That would even affect things like airplains and hospitals. The
governments need to sober up and migrate to other platforms ASAP, not just
for savings, resilience, control, and flexibility. Stability and security
are more critical factors.

You know, over Christmas (24th and 25th) many of us in the WordPress mailing
lists saw the most gigantic spike ever (something like 50,000 page requests
a day). Matt Mullenweg predicts that the amount of SPAM will be x10 next
year. And speaking of which, some people had their Web account suspended or
crashes, due to the levels of SPAM, which the server could not tolerate.

Recent news:

EveryDNS, OpenDNS Under Botnet DDoS Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time the Web mob (spammers and phishers using botnets)
| decided to go after a security service, Blue Security was forced
| to fold and collateral damage extended to several businesses,
| including Six Apart.
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/everydns_opendns_under_botnet_ddos_attack.html

Related:

Study: Billions of dollars spent on security

,----[ Quote ]
| Large U.S. businesses will spend $61 billion on security by the end
| of this year, representing 7.3 percent of total IT budgets in the
| country, according to a new report from Info-Tech Research Group.
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-7350_3-6135989.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

US lost $8 billion to computer crime

,----[ Quote ]
| Consumer reports' latest "State of the Net" survey has revealed that
| US punters lost more than $8 billion over the last two years to
| viruses, spyware and con tricks.

That's us who are working and/or paying.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
  8:20pm  up 5 days 20:38,  5 users,  load average: 0.88, 0.63, 0.63