Re: [News] New Trojan Can Get Windows Hijacked

__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 28 January 2007 15:36 \__

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:21:44 +0000
>
>> Word 2000 vulnerability, trojan discovered
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Once open, Trojan.Mdropper.W installs a series of files on the PC
>> | that are used to give the hacker remote access.
>> `----
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/1/27/6780
>
> related at all to the release of office 2007 perhaps?

I don't think it's deliberate (see [1]). If patches are being delivered
slowly (there are currently 4 unpatches Word vulnerabilities [2] that are
critical and 0-day... some of which are 2-months old), then be suspicious.

[1] Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

,----[ Quote ]
| What if you want to keep your old operating systems, such as Windows
| 2000, running as long as possible?
|
| Microsoft isn't making it easy for you. Office 2007 and the software
| for the company's much-hyped Zune music player won't install on Windows
| 2000. As other new products emerge from Microsoft in 2007 and beyond,
| more and more of them are likely to leave Windows 2000 out of the party.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196700071

[2] Another Word zero-day bug used in attacks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6153562.html

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
  4:20pm  up 5 days 16:38,  5 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.38, 0.59