[News] Game Developer Dismisses Windows Vista as a Platform

Vista for Games: Boon or Burden?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's (Vista) very immature. When you get Windows Vista you're
| going to need to update your video drivers right away. If you're
| a gamer, there's no question about it. It's not a matter of "I'll
| get around to it." No, if you plan to game you'll have to update
| immediately. If you don't then your games are GOING to crash.
`----

http://gigagamez.com/2007/01/26/vista-for-games-boon-or-burden/

Mind you, the guy relies on Windows for a living.

Related:

Opinion: 'Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming'

,----[ Quote ]
| In the interest of full disclosure I should make it clear that in a
| previous life time I was responsible for all of Microsoft's OS
| strategy for games and media, from writing the original DirectX
| development plan, to managing Microsoft?s relationships with the
| industries leading game developers. 10 years after launching DirectX
| 1.0, I still have strong opinions and feelings about how to make
| Windows a great game platform, and probably feel a stronger sense
| of pique than most when I see Microsoft making careless or callous
| mistakes that impact game developers.
`----

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314

Related:

Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?

,----[ Quote ]
| # Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
| feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
| problems with existing applications that running anything other
| than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
| XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
|
|    1. Games - don't even get me started...
|       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
|    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the irony...
|
|    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.
`----

http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

Some references to story that coincide.

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game you are
| likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is certainly not a
| good buying argument but don?t think you and I have much choice as it
| looks like a take it or leave it deal. I like Vista as the 3D desktop
| looks sexy but that is probably its key feature.
`----                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the machines that
| we investigated were running Windows XP.
|
| Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as things
| might be not stable for current games. We hope that they can meet the
| early 2007 schedules.

List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Erik Funkenbusch (formerly an anti-OS/2 astroturfer)
        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Lintard
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with grain of salt. Microsoft
has already been caught paying forum members to spread lies about rivals,
e.g. http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html