Re: [News] Game Developer Dismisses Windows Vista as a Platform

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 29 January 2007 18:57 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Bailo
> <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:59:35 -0800
> <Nf6dnQDst4_LRCbYnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Vista for Games: Boon or Burden?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://gigagamez.com/2007/01/26/vista-for-games-boon-or-burden/
>>>

>> Gamers would like nothing better than the general public buying a
>> machine with game-quality graphics engines.
>>
>> Vista PCs have that.
>>
>> Linux is selling down...running on old hardware.   Who wants that?
>>
>> Vista is selling up...promoting 21st century PCs.   That is good.
>
> Good for Microsoft and the OEMs maybe.  Not sure regarding
> the rest of us.

The key lies within choice. While Vista Aero can be disabled (heck, it can be
customised to look like Windows 2000), the resource-hogging cruft is still
there for all I can tell (I judge based on what I read, mind you, I never
use Windows anymore).

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
roy      pts/4                         Wed Jan 31 16:16 - 16:16  (00:00)