Re: [News] British Telecom Releases GPL Code (Including Linux) to Public, Still Not in Compliance

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 26 January 2007 19:12 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Interesting - does anyone know what still needs to be provided?
>>>

>> AFAICT it's the kernel config and build build scripts for the "altered"
>> GPL components.
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7738771376.html
>>

> Hmm, I shall have to dig into this one...

>From a comment I've just seen (a reply to mine):

"BT have released the free software source they've used in the device, which
is good, although they were late in doing so. There have been some comments
that they're still not complying because they haven't released the
compilation and build scripts. In some cases, such as for uClibc and
busybox, where the build script is itself under the GPL, then they must do
this. They don't, as far as I understand the GPL, need to release the entire
build process, if they have invented that themselves. The knowledge of how
to bring all the bits of free software together into a working system, is
what many of us in the free software world use to make our living. Those
scripts do not necessarily need to be released under the GPL, as long as
they are not based on existing scripts already covered by that licence."

Hope it helps.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
roy      pts/4                         Fri Jan 26 04:29 - 04:54  (00:24)