Re: Here Comes the Microsoft Shill to Bring Balance to Blogs

On 2007-01-26, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ AB ] on Friday 26 January 2007 11:33 \__

>>> Does this mean that they are using USB-memory as extra RAM.
>>
>> Not a bright idea. But that's what it sounds like.

>>> Sounds like a smart way of burning cash. Correct me anyone if I am
>>> wrong. USB memories can be read as many times as you wish, but only
>>> wrote at a limited amount of times. Using a flash drive as RAM, would
>>> destroy it rather quickly. Sounds like the M$ to me.
>>
>> It'll burn money alright. And it's slow. In fact, if using a slow USB
>> jumpdrive is supposed to speed Vista up, this is a nice little backdoor
>> confession of how slow Vista really is.
>>
>> If, instead of a flash drive, they'd recommended a USB hard drive, like
>> one of the 2G or larger pocket drives, this might make some semblance
>> of sense. Then again, some of those are priced about the same as the
>> additional RAM that would work better for the same purpose. And drive
>> would still be slower than the extra memory.
>
> My external hard-drive is treated like a USB mass-storage device and I can
> only imagine the performance of RAM-related operations relying on a
> hard-drive, which stops spinning when it's idle (by design).

If it's running on Winders it may never have time to spin down. But if
it does a hard drive would be slow enough, and a flash drive would be
unbearable.

> RAM is not expensive. My 256MB of RAM are cheap and they serve me well. When
> an O/S 'sweet point' is at 4GB of RAM (according to The Inquirer), then you
> reinvent the whole concept of RAM by plugging peripherals that are slower
> and less reliable (can you say BSoD?). Why not create a CRT that consumes
> 500 watts per hour and start selling computers with a detached generator?

That's right, 4G. I guess a small pocket hard drive would still be
cheaper than that. I have a 5 gigger that's fairly fast, considering
it's running over USB, which slows things down. I only paid about $100
for it a year or so ago. It's still slower than RAM, too, but nowhere
near as bad as a flash drive.

Not to mention the flash drive would wear out in no time. Making the MS
"solution" a stupid one. Surprise!

--
Microsoft: The company that made computing dangerous.