Re: Here Comes the Microsoft Shill to Bring Balance to Blogs

__/ [ AB ] on Friday 26 January 2007 11:33 \__

> On 2007-01-26, Ewok <ewok313@xxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>

>> On Jan 24, 1:24 am, "VistaKing" <BushIsATrai...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> One of the exciting new
>>> concepts of Windows VistaT involves bsting your PC's memory without the
>>> annoying hassle of physically opening your computer and installing RAM.
>>>
>>> This feature is Windows ReadyB st, and it uses your removable USB flash
>>> drive to improve your system's performance easily and immediately. Just
>>> connect your USB flash drive and you're ready to go with improved speed!
>>> Perfect for gamers!
>>>

>> Does this mean that they are using USB-memory as extra RAM.
>
> Not a bright idea. But that's what it sounds like.
>
>>> A great way to get ready for an enhanced gaming and multimedia
>>> experience with Windows VistaT and Windows ReadyBst is to pick up a
>>> new Centrios USB flash drive. Pump up the power of your system with
>>> a 512MB or whopping 2GB flash drive. Get yours today and enjoy more
>>> productivity and entertainment at home or on the go!
>>>

>> Sounds like a smart way of burning cash. Correct me anyone if I am
>> wrong. USB memories can be read as many times as you wish, but only
>> wrote at a limited amount of times. Using a flash drive as RAM, would
>> destroy it rather quickly. Sounds like the M$ to me.
>
> It'll burn money alright. And it's slow. In fact, if using a slow USB
> jumpdrive is supposed to speed Vista up, this is a nice little backdoor
> confession of how slow Vista really is.
>
> If, instead of a flash drive, they'd recommended a USB hard drive, like
> one of the 2G or larger pocket drives, this might make some semblance
> of sense. Then again, some of those are priced about the same as the
> additional RAM that would work better for the same purpose. And drive
> would still be slower than the extra memory.

My external hard-drive is treated like a USB mass-storage device and I can
only imagine the performance of RAM-related operations relying on a
hard-drive, which stops spinning when it's idle (by design).

RAM is not expensive. My 256MB of RAM are cheap and they serve me well. When
an O/S 'sweet point' is at 4GB of RAM (according to The Inquirer), then you
reinvent the whole concept of RAM by plugging peripherals that are slower
and less reliable (can you say BSoD?). Why not create a CRT that consumes
500 watts per hour and start selling computers with a detached generator?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie