Re: Criminals 'may overwhelm the web'

__/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Friday 26 January 2007 14:38 \__

>> __/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Friday 26 January 2007 13:09 \__

>> > There is another way and that is to require every Windows user to have
>> > an internet driving licence. The licence would be issued only to users
>> > who demonstrated an understanding of online security and knew how to
>> > avoid basic threats like phishing scams.
>> >
>> > Users of non-Windows platforms, Linux, OS X etc would be exempt.
>>
>> This was discussed/proposed before, but the issue is that it sets
>> /barriers/ and makes Windows something that's out of the question to folks
>> who are unwilling to learn, such as our grandparents.
>
> We aren't allowed behind the wheel of a car without passing a test. The
> car itself isn't allowed on the road without a roadworthiness test. The
> same will soon have to apply to the Web. Like the metallised highway the
> Web has become a vital resource too valuable to allow access to
> untrained people running unroadworthy machines.
>
> If some users are denied Web access, or have to be "taxied" by qualified
> friends or relatives, c'est la vie.

Here at the University we 'penalise' people with GBP35 fines if their
computers misbahaves on the network 3 times, leading to a disconnection.
This seems to be working all right, but then again it leaves a few unhappy
faces and can't be relied on fully.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
roy      pts/4                         Fri Jan 26 04:29 - 04:54  (00:24)