Re: $100 Linux Laptop Gets New and Improved Build

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 26 January 2007 07:42 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:50:03 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This has always bothered me about your logic, Kier.  You seem willing to
>>> accept that Microsoft would put money and effort into astroturfing
>>> pretty much every forum going, *except* cola.  I still cannot
>>
>> Eh? I think you're missing something, there, since I've said no such
>> thing, ever. If you're referring to the above, I'm talking about the
>> likelihood of 'advocates' on both sides skewing articles to their agenda.
>> It does sometimes happen. And it's just as reprehensible for articles and
>> facts in those articles to be skewed or misrepresented by Linux advocates
>> as by MS.
>
> You said above that you wouldn't discount manipulation of wikipedia.
>

>>> understand, and have never seen a remotely convincing argument, as to
>>> why cola should be different.
>>
>> MS is unlikely to be doing this anywhere on the scale you seem to think.
>> And COLA is nothing but a pumple on the backside of Usenet, which I doubt
>> is taken that seriously by anyone, least of all a company with as much
>> money and influence as MS. You really think we're that important here?
>>

> I think that cola is not unimportant.  Try a google search, and you'll
> see why.

I concur. Don't underestimate even the impact on Google search (Google Groups
search aside). The other day I was searching for something like "ballmer
angry red hat customers". I sought a reference on the impact Ballmer's
"balance-sheet liability" statement had on clients who manage mixed
environments. I did this in Google search, not Google Groups search. Mark's
digest was among the top results, joined by others from COLA.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >