Re: Red Hat Competition Brings Linux Improvement

  • Subject: Re: Red Hat Competition Brings Linux Improvement
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:40:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Schestertitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Red Hat's Volley on Linux Management Offering
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Call it Red Hat's forward spin velocity regarding Linux
> | management tools. With competition such as Oracle offering full
> | Red Hat support on their own products, Red Hat is now expanding
> | and improving its Linux management footprint.
> |
> | The leading Linux distributor told internetnews.com that it is
> | rolling out online monitoring tool this year Red Hat customers.
> `----
>
> http://www.internetnews

It wouldn't take much to get people back onboard with Redhat.

1. A little effort to bring the RH distro closer up to date.  Other distros
aimed at the server side have us within a nats dick width of the current
releases, Suse was giving us the option of Mysql 5 when RH were still
rolling out 3 for example. Suse has proven itself just as reliable long
term as RH is, since Suse 9.3 I mean.

2. I know us IT folk are all right clever and can do all the admin and
setups on the command line and I admit I sort of enjoyed the cut and thrust
of battle for a time, but we are also inheritantly lazy, so a Yast like
setup tool is bound to be attractive to us. A lazy IT or programmer is a
good thing by the way, because he/she will do things in such a way that
they need only be done once and need little maintenance. Which really means
that we put in a lot of effort at the start, to save us effort at a later
date.

3. Don't waste time and effort on an online monitoring tool and other such
tosh. How many IT folk are likely to need one of those. When we have to
check one of our remote sites we vpn or tunnel in and check it out for
ourselves, it takes moments to do it, or we have the remote site check
itself and email us with a problem, it is all very easy to do in simple
scripts, not worth the time of the programmers you have writing a web tool
for it.

4. Instead of tosh, and lets face it RH's popularity was never built on the
extras that came with it, because they never were any. RH's reputation is
built purely on the fact that the servers can be installed and then
forgotten about. Of cause we all do our checks, but it's hard to be
enthusiastic about it when the server hasn't shown the least interest in
being naughty in any way.

So I would say that this web thingy has no value what so ever. But there are
plenty of other areas you could put those programmers to work on.

While your at it, assurance of some kind that you will never again pull out
part way through a support contract might help a bit.