Re: [News] PCLinuxOS Climbs to Top of DistroWatch Chart (7 Days)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:33:22 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:47:05 -0500, Rick wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1
>>>
>>> Not bad considering the fact that only a beta has just been released. Ubuntu
>>> is a close second (7-day pageview average).b
>>
>> The beta is probably why it has climbed on distro watch. I really wish
>> there was some way to get PCLinuxOS the kind of positive marketing
>> Ubuntu has enjoyed
>
> It's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>
> Remember Ubuntu was not really that popular until Shuttlecock poured money
> into it.

Tell me, flatfish, why do you persist in insulting Mark *Shuttleworth*,
who has done more to promote and help Linux than you could ever dream of
doing in your miserable life? Might it be jealousy? I see no good reason,
no reason at all, in fact, to justify calling him 'Shuttlecock', except to
be offensive and a troll.

I bet you wouldn't call him that to his face, now would you?

> IMHO PCLinuxOS is overall, THE BEST desktop distro available.

Your opinion is noted. I don't share it, BTW, though I have used
PCLinuxOS, and liked it pretty well. I'll probably try the latest version
sometimes soon.

> Texstar was smart enough to look at the other distributions and see what
> people complained about.
> He fixed these common problems, compiled the applications for speed and
> put together a great distro.

True enough. But he had a good base to start from, don't forget.

> All you have to do is compare a stock OpenSuse 10.2 install with a stock
> PCLinuxOS install and on the same machine you will see a major difference
> in speed between the two at least as far as navigating, opening and
> closing programs etc is concerned.
> I have not done any formal benchmarks, but it's a perception thing and it
> is obvious the first time you compare the two.

SUSE is of course much larger and more comprehensive.

> Linux users have to understand that it's all about money.

Why? Because you say it is? Money helps, but it's not everything. Not by a
long chalk.

> Money and good connections gets interviews in major magazines, pays for
> advertising and buys web space.

Yes, that's true, but so what?

> Word of mouth can work, but the deck is stacked badly against you
> especially when you are competing with others who have the $$ to promote
> the product.

There are plenty of distros that seem to be doing pretty well without
money, or without much of it, at least. A lot of Linux distros aren't
after money, they just want enough to keep things ticking over.

--
Kier