Re: [News] PCLinuxOS Climbs to Top of DistroWatch Chart (7 Days)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:47:05 -0500, Rick wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1
>>
>> Not bad considering the fact that only a beta has just been released. Ubuntu
>> is a close second (7-day pageview average).b
>
> The beta is probably why it has climbed on distro watch. I really wish
> there was some way to get PCLinuxOS the kind of positive marketing
> Ubuntu has enjoyed

It's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remember Ubuntu was not really that popular until Shuttlecock poured money
into it.

IMHO PCLinuxOS is overall, THE BEST desktop distro available.

Texstar was smart enough to look at the other distributions and see what
people complained about.
He fixed these common problems, compiled the applications for speed and
put together a great distro.

All you have to do is compare a stock OpenSuse 10.2 install with a stock
PCLinuxOS install and on the same machine you will see a major difference
in speed between the two at least as far as navigating, opening and
closing programs etc is concerned.
I have not done any formal benchmarks, but it's a perception thing and it
is obvious the first time you compare the two.

Linux users have to understand that it's all about money.
Money and good connections gets interviews in major magazines, pays for
advertising and buys web space.

Word of mouth can work, but the deck is stacked badly against you
especially when you are competing with others who have the $$ to promote
the product.