Re: [News] PCLinuxOS Climbs to Top of DistroWatch Chart (7 Days)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 25 January 2007 12:00 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1
>>>
>>> Not bad considering the fact that only a beta has just been released.
>>> Ubuntu is a close second (7-day pageview average).b
>>
>> I like looking at the the distro watch lists, it makes interesting
>> reading as far as trends go.
>>
>> It also shows a good degree of stability in trends. For example the top
>> ten has been fairly stable for quite some time, Suse, Fedora, Debian,
>> with upstarts such as Ubuntu and Damn Small Linux looking like a long
>> term additions to that list.
>
> Yeah, and don't forget the time when Opensuse got released and everyone
> was talking about it. It temporarily brought it to the prestigious number
> one spot.
>
>> It suggest that of the top ten nearly all of them have been proven good
>> distro's over several years, rather than a quick popular fad, such that
>> they tend to keep their own user base as well as attracting new users.
>
> I guess that as Linux reaches the masses, fewer hardcore distributions
> will remain at the top. The technical users who run servers on their
> desktop, for example, are becoming a minority.

I hope the number of Linux users who run server services on their desktop
isn't reducing, these services offer a lot of benefit to a client whether
they are on the same machine as the client or not.

Ok, so in reallity a Linux PC is always a server even if only serving within
it's own box, and much of what I call server services is available in some
degree to a setup specifically aimed at being a client, but there are many
traditional server services that are to the users benefit and we really
shouldn't reduce the users access to them.

Even simple things such as having a particularly long or busy process to
run, opening a shell to an alternate user is a server service that can
bring speed benefits because of the way the CPU time is distributed on a
Linux.

Print services offer a simmilar benefit, all of the rendering out of the
current user's thread gives a speed benefit.

Email services, why not have your mail already local to your machine when
you sit at it. I get a lot of emails with attachments, but I never wait for
them, they are there ready for me as soon as I switch one of my clients on.
Also set yourself up so as far as possible you are independant of ISP, ISPs
come and go, don't let them take your email/domain with them.

DHCP/DNS/squid, routers these days are very good for home users, taking good
care of dhcp/dns, but few have a reasonable page cache, so your general
browsing is slower than it ought to be. You should only have the traffic of
those parts of a page that have actually changed. So if you regularly visit
www.GreatPicturesOfNaturalWonders.com and only one picture has changed then
the load of the page should take just a few moments because the rest of it
is already local.

I could carry on through list, including the use of local web services,
particularly as web applications take a hold, those php web applications
are teatering on the brillient these days and there is no reason at all why
those applications can not be used locally.

Basically, don't let the server side of your Linux experience deminish at
all, it is as much a part of daily Linux as the client is.