Re: [News] Tanenbaum: Microsoft Paid for Attack on Linus Torvalds

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Guy Fawkes
<spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:49:58 +0100
<45b8d312$0$24463$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Andrew S Tanenbaum: A couple of years ago this guy called Ken Brown
>> | wrote a book saying that Linus stole Linux from me, from Minix,
>> | and therefore the intellectual property rights are unclear and
>> | therefore companies shouldn't use Linux because I might sue them.
>> |
>> | It later came out that Microsoft had paid him to do this --
>> | and I defended Linus. I wrote on my Web site saying that this
>> | guy Brown came through, visited me and I gave him the
>> | [correct] story.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/architecture/soa/Interview_with_Dr_Andrew_S_Tanenbaum/0,339028264,339273224,00.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/3c78xz
>>
>> This is a new interview (not the one posted yesterday).
>
> It didn't help in any case. Linux is now the dominant server operating
> system. I'm pretty baffled why Linux vendors haven't declared 'World
> Dominance.' in this area.

There is a problem.  Sit down at a desktop and one sees
what's on that desktop; chances are, it's Microsoft
Windows.  Who's the gatekeeper here?

Nor is it clear that Linux is dominant in the server arena;
the general indications suggest Apache is doing well (60%,
though it's share is slowly declining as Microsoft tries
to make inroads with its 30.78% share as of January 2007).
However, Apache is not Linux, though many Apache servers
are running on Linux servers.  The breakdown at the web
survey, however, is by daemon, not OS (the term "Microsoft",
of course, presumably really means "IIS").

Apparently Microsoft is still playing some games in
this space, though; GoDaddy and Windows Live Spaces are
prominently mentioned.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's there and it works.
Windows.  It's there, but does it work?