Re: [News] Vista Degrades XP's Usability, Requires New PC

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:17:45 +0000
<1939513.WnGA4SzGHA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Windows Vista: Bad usability and navigation?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This style of button is present on all Vista windows and programs, as
> | far as I have seen. This is a huge loss of usability to the Windows
> | Vista interface.
> `----
>
> http://www.designerkev.com/blog/technology/windows-vista-bad-usability-and-navigation/
> http://tinyurl.com/2xlkmf

Apple patented the screenwide menu bar?  Ow.

And now Vista, in its infinite wisdom, does not allow the
user to close the window using the upper-rightmost pixel;
there's a small gap.  Wonderful.

(Gnome actually has a similar problem.  The theme I'm
using now has rounded edges in the frame of the window.
Hasn't bothered me, admittedly, and one can use ALT-F4 to
close the application.  If the app is in MAXIMIZE mode,
admittedly, throwing the mouse to the upper right does
not hit the close button in Gnome, either.  I rarely use
maximize mode, though.  So I don't know; I'm not sure
if I agree 100% with this concept, though it's definitely
easy enough to understand.)

> I think I have seen another more scientific article that demonstates how
> looks compromised usability, not just system resources. Oh, actually I have
> just found it... <
> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/5-sins-of-vista.html >, but this
> had already been posted.

I do miss IArchitect's Windows Hall Of Shame. :-)

To their credit, they've replaced that "throw the paper
at the folder" requester with something a little better
(and more standard) looking.  I wish I could say that it
worked better, but alas, the above website suggests no.

> Also today:
>
> Hasta la Vista, XP: Switching to Microsoft's new operating system
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Windows" is dead, long live Windows. Windows XP, the current
> | dominant operating system, has met its successor. Vista will
> | launch its bid to conquer PCs worldwide under the Microsoft
> | banner starting on   January 30. Millions of XP users will
> | supposedly be convinced to make the switch. That may be more
> | difficult than advertised, since there are few compelling
> | reasons for an immediate changeover.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | "Otherwise you need to work with the classic view," says Vahldiek.
> | The easiest way to assure that hardware and the Vista operating
> | system will work together is to buy a computer with the operating
> | system pre-installed. That may be the most affordable solution
> | as well.
> `----
>
> http://www.playfuls.com/news_05902_Hasta_la_Vista_XP_Switching_to_Microsofts_new_operating_system.html
>
> And the cost of PC's has just gone up, not down, because of Vista's hardware
> requirements. This doesn't even account for the editions upgardes (software
> fees). References to support this are appended.

Interesting wording: "conquer PCs".  Can KDE sue?  :-)
KDE, after all, has as part of its "advertising" the
ability to conquer one's desktop.

> Related:
>
> Microsoft Vista costs 20% more to build
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The firm said that an average desktop PC running Windows XP costs
> | PC OEMs just over $500 for the build components. But for Vista,
> | that figure jumps by around 20 per cent to over $600.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36251

But feel that quality shining through....</sarcasm>

> Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
> | Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
> | want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
> | number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
> | [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
> | it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
> | remote control."
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

How....basic.

> Vista costs more than a computer in Australia
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
> | that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
> | more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
> | computer.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6154/53/

Well, it depends on the computer type, after all.  If one
really wants nice, smooth Aero a 2 GB RAM, high-capability
video card unit will probably cost more than Vista Ultimate
Edition.

Of course if one wants to just use it for emails, light web
browsing, and the occasional document, that's definitely
muy overkill.

Microsoft.  Where did you want to get gouged today?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };