Re: [News] Screenshots of gNewSense -- Free as in 100% Freedom Linux Distro

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:08:04 +0000
<53178566.JAWVPE5zKS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:06 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:14:55 +0000
>> <1873376.BWpuQXvMuV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px
>>>

> http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1
>>>
>>> Looking good and pdofessional. KDE-based.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that background tree or a program
>> named "Kooka" (says it's a Scan and OCR Program; I'm just
>> commenting on the name here) but the rest of it looks
>> reasonably good. :-)  And I doubt gNewSense has any
>> control over "Kooka".
>
> I never liked the name either.

*shrug*

>> It's green, I'll give it that.  The boot screen reminds me
>> of Ubuntu's.  Oddly, I don't see a login prompt anywhere.
>> (Judging from what I've seen in Gentoo lately, there's
>> apparently a mutation going on, but it turns out xdm is
>> easily customizable; I've already put a star background
>> on aurigae, for example, courtesy of celestia.)
>

> gdm's plan, at least according to Canonical's speculative agenda, spoke of
> the possibility of having OpenGL-accelerated login managers, with images
> that revolve in space... argh.. messy sentence. I don't believe it'll make
> in into 7.04, which is in alpha now.

xdm can have OpenGL now in the background, with some care.
I don't know how the background program running the OpenGL
gets managed in a nice way, though, when the user actually
logs in.  Of course one could just display a static
OpenGL-generated affair, splotting it on the background
screen or something -- or just generate a picture and
use xsetroot.  Not quite as exciting, but easy to do.

The files in /etc/X11/xdm are the key here, and they can
do quite a bit of stuff.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how
extensively xdm's widget can be customized, though one
can change the inset image, fonts, and colors.

I've not played with gdm lately, and with Gentoo xdm, gdm,
and kdm have a slightly odd relationship; one has to set
a variable in /etc/make.conf which tells the system whether
one wants Gnome, KDE, or just plain X.

One minor problem with rotating GL: it consumes power.
Not the best of choices in, say, a computing lab --
though probably a minor issue if one aggressively sets
the screensaver parameters.

>> The artwork's slightly spotty stylewise in areas (Kopete's
>> pencil doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the displayed
>> theme, for example) but all this is extremely minor stuff,
>> though in order to evaluate it properly one would have to
>> install it, use it, record any crashes while using it.
>>
>> After all, the trolls routinely report Vista as "gorgeous",
>> but underneath the surface shine -- if one can get the
>> welded cover off -- one gets a tangled, gooey mess.  Here,
>> the surface is nicely usable, and one can take it apart
>> if need be. :-)
>

> Good foundation facilitates quick development. The high level stuff needn't
> bother with and worry about what's happening underneath. Vista's Aero Glass
> led to BSoD's when enabled in the betas. That's what I've heard...

One wonders with Windows.  At least with Linux one has a
fighting chance of isolating the layer having a problem.
To its credit, the BSOD "stop screen" is highly obvious,
whereas Linux occasionally just hangs (I am not certain
but aurigae may need a beefier power supply; that extra
1 GB RAM stick I put in there is another straw on the
camel's back -- which is making said back creak a bit,
although it's not broken yet. :-) )  However, I'm not
sure if there's a log file to go with that BSOD.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!