Re: [News] Screenshots of gNewSense -- Free as in 100% Freedom Linux Distro

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:06 \__

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1

>> Looking good and pdofessional. KDE-based.
>
> I'm not sure about that background tree or a program
> named "Kooka" (says it's a Scan and OCR Program; I'm just
> commenting on the name here) but the rest of it looks
> reasonably good. :-)  And I doubt gNewSense has any
> control over "Kooka".

I never liked the name either.

> It's green, I'll give it that.  The boot screen reminds me
> of Ubuntu's.  Oddly, I don't see a login prompt anywhere.
> (Judging from what I've seen in Gentoo lately, there's
> apparently a mutation going on, but it turns out xdm is
> easily customizable; I've already put a star background
> on aurigae, for example, courtesy of celestia.)

gdm's plan, at least according to Canonical's speculative agenda, spoke of
the possibility of having OpenGL-accelerated login managers, with images
that revolve in space... argh.. messy sentence. I don't believe it'll make
in into 7.04, which is in alpha now.

> The artwork's slightly spotty stylewise in areas (Kopete's
> pencil doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the displayed
> theme, for example) but all this is extremely minor stuff,
> though in order to evaluate it properly one would have to
> install it, use it, record any crashes while using it.
>
> After all, the trolls routinely report Vista as "gorgeous",
> but underneath the surface shine -- if one can get the
> welded cover off -- one gets a tangled, gooey mess.  Here,
> the surface is nicely usable, and one can take it apart
> if need be. :-)

Good foundation facilitates quick development. The high level stuff needn't
bother with and worry about what's happening underneath. Vista's Aero Glass
led to BSoD's when enabled in the betas. That's what I've heard...

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Every beginning must start somewhere
  7:00pm  up  19:18,  5 users,  load average: 1.28, 0.79, 0.73